Through the “Social Investment” project, proposed by the national government, the Colombian Congress is considering a series of measures aimed at the economic reactivation of the Colombian people. In this sense, one of the proposals is the annual implementation of three VAT-free days for all consumers and traders.
VAT exempt products
According to the proposal, the products that will be available for purchase during the VAT-free dates will be:
- Clothing whose sale price per unit is equal to or less than twenty (20) UVT (Unidad de Valor Tributario – Taxable Value Unit). It includes any piece of clothing or footwear.
- Clothing accessories whose sale price per unit is equal to or less than twenty (20) UVT. It includes backpacks, briefcases, handbags, purses, wallets, sunglasses, umbrellas, scarves, and costume jewelry.
- Household appliances, computers, and communications equipment whose sales price per unit is equal to or less than eighty (80) UVT.
- This group of items includes those for home use, such as televisions, home speakers, tablets, refrigerators, freezers, electric dishwashers, household washing and drying machines, vacuum cleaners, floor polishers, electric garbage disposals, electric food preparation, and processing appliances, shavers, ovens, irons and coffee makers, personal computers, and communications equipment.
- Sports items whose sale price per unit is equal to or less than eighty (80) UVT. This includes rubber balls, balls, racquets, bats, mallets, swimming goggles, neoprene suits, flippers, life jackets, helmets, hand, elbow, and shin protectors, and specialized shoes for the practice of sports. This category includes bicycles and electric bicycles.
- Toys and games whose sale price per unit is equal to or less than ten (10) UVT.
- The project defines them as objects to entertain and amuse people, especially children, including only dolls, dolls representing characters, toy animals, stuffed and rag dolls, toy musical instruments, playing cards, board games, electronic games and video games, electric trains, construction sets, toys with wheels designed to be used as vehicles, puzzles and marbles, skateboards and electric skateboards.
- This category does not include party, carnival and recreational items, computer programs, nor software.
- School supplies whose sale price per unit is equal to or less than five (5) UVT. They refer to notebooks, educational software, pencils, pens, erasers, sharpeners, pencils, correctors, plasticine, glue, and scissors.
- Goods and inputs for the agricultural sector whose sales price per unit is equal to or less than eighty (80) UVT.
According to the established plan, the conferences for this year, 2021, will be scheduled for next November and December.
Source: Extra 18/08/21